Graduation Caps

Your child is headed off to college. Congrats! It took a lot of hard work to get here, but you’re not off the hook yet. Is your college student’s insurance coverage up to date?

Whether your child is attending a community college across town or moving across the country, (AP name) is here to make sure three key policies are college ready.

Health Insurance

There are a variety of health insurance options.

  • Parents’ Plans This is the easiest option in most cases. Individuals up to age 26 who are not eligible for other group coverage may be covered, but keep in mind that coverage may decrease for out-of-state students.
  • School-Sponsored Health Insurance Plans Available for full-time students, these plans are relatively affordable and convenient as medical services are often available on campus. Off-campus services may differ. This plan will drop coverage if students graduate or drop below full-time status.
  • Student Health Insurance Plans Available to full-time students ages 17-29 at a state- accredited college, this coverage travels with students to other states, but may be more expensive than individual health coverage. Medical history is a factor in acceptance and home state availability varies.
  • Individual Health Insurance Plan Most states offer affordable options with a range of benefit options. The biggest advantage is that you can keep this coverage after you graduate or drop credit hours, yet coverage may vary between states and medical history is a factor in acceptance.

Auto Insurance

If your child moves more than 100 miles away from your home to attend school and doesn’t keep a vehicle there, your auto insurance premiums could decrease by as much as 30 percent.

Conversely, if your child is taking a car to school with them, extra policies may be helpful, especially if they are far from home. Make sure they have adequate insurance to go with their parking pass. That may require adding an umbrella policy to cover gaps between other coverages.


Many homeowners’ policies consider a dorm room as an extension of your home, so items your child keeps there may be covered to some extent. However, if your child has expensive electronic equipment or furniture, you may want to consider additional coverage.

If your child lives off campus, his or her possessions may not be covered by your homeowners’ policy. In that case, you may want to consider renter’s insurance. This protection will cover possessions in your child’s off-campus apartment or house as well as provide liability coverage if anyone is injured in the residence.

See Your Advisor

Much like your student’s academic advisor, The Starr Group Personal Lines agents are eager to develop a plan for success. Contact us today to discuss your family’s needs and concerns. We have access to a variety of policies and carriers. We’re confident that we can develop a policy to cover your co-ed and provide parental peace of mind!

The Starr Group is a proud agency partner of Acrisure, ( a top 10 global insurance broker. Our relationship with Acrisure allows us to provide our clients access to policies, resources, and expertise often outside the reach of stand-alone agencies. Along with competitive pricing, our service is backed by dedicated, local customer service.