Community and Philanthropy
Since opening its doors in 1956, The Starr Group has grown beyond just the selling of home and auto insurance. We provide risk management education and solutions to companies – even offering Group Benefits plans -- to provide top of the line coverage and reduce other business related costs. Still, we haven’t forgotten where we came from and who we serve. We started out protecting local families and we continue to extend that service through our community outreach and philanthropic endeavors.
The Starr Group would be nothing without its customers in Southeastern Wisconsin. This is why we believe in giving back to the community that has given so much to us.
- A decade of fund raising and sponsorship to the Wisconsin Special Olympics through their annual Polar Plunge, we raised thousands of dollars to support Special Needs Athletes throughout the state.
- Since 2008, through our special program for Milwaukee NARI members, we raised over $100,000 in support of the NARI Foundation which provides scholarship and buys equipment for students entering the skilled trades.
- We are active members of American Heart Association, from serving on the Board of Directors and sponsoring the annual Health and Wellness symposiums to raising funds through the annual Heartwalk at the Milwaukee Lakefront.
- In 2016, The Starr Group sponsored a Make-A-Wish child. Employees held “Soup Tuesdays” and “Chili Cook Offs” to raise funds among the staff to meet our financial goal. Our agency was fortunate to have “our” child visit our offices to meet with him and talk to his family. It was a great incentive to push harder toward making that “Wish” come true.
- Teamed up with USMC Reserves for their annual Toys4Tots campaign in the Greater Milwaukee area.
- Instituted an annual Blood Drive that benefited the American Red Cross and the Blood Center of Wisconsin.
Giving to and supporting the community is more than just a corporate responsibility to The Starr Group – it is a way of life. We have made giving back a priority to our office culture through the “Casual Day for a Cause” and “Charity Kitty” programs.
Every Friday is an optional “Casual Day” for employees of The Starr Group. For just $2, they may choose to wear denim jeans to the office. At the end of each quarter, the funds are tallied and distributed to a local charity selected by the Best of the Best Committee (The Starr Group’s ethics committee). Funds can reach anywhere from $200 to $400 and beyond. Some of the charities that benefited from “Casual Day” donations include: American Cancer Society’ Rebuilding Together; American Heart Association; Variety Children’s Charity of Wisconsin; Midwest Therapeutic Riding Program; St. Martin’s of Tours PB&J Drive; Interfaith Older Adult Programs; MECA Foundation – K9 Vests for Police Dogs; and many more.
Each time a client or business associate compliments a Starr Group employee on exceptional service, $5 is placed into “Charity Kitty” on their behalf. At year’s end, these funds are totaled – and doubled by The Starr Group – and is donated to The Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee. During the year, The Starr Group staff has collected an average of $300 to $400 to donate.
The Starr Group allows each of its employees 8 hours of Paid Time Off during the work week to volunteer at a charity of their choice. This can range from working at a food pantry to donating blood.
The Starr Group doesn’t just support established organizations. The staff also organizes annual drives for clothing, food and school supplies that is distributed to organizations within the surrounding community and beyond. In 2014, we learned through a local church about one family that was facing hard times: health issues that resulted in unemployment and homelessness. Our staff stepped up to privately help this family in their immediate need for food, clothing, furnishings and rent for a small apartment. In 2015, we followed up on the progress of that family. It was heartwarming to learn that we brought some stability and hope to strengthen a family in our community.
The Starr Group realizes that any one of us could find ourselves in a situation of need – and we hope our community actions will continue to set a positive example to our associates, our families and our community.